Francis X. ("Frank") Sexton, Jr. is a partner in the Miami office of Roig Lawyers.
Francis has over 40 years of experience and concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts, with an emphasis in business disputes, real estate (commercial and residential), business torts, professional liability, premises liability, fraud, intra-corporate and partnership disputes, trademark infringement, shipping disputes, banking disputes, money wire disputes and debtor/creditor problems. He has tried cases in both state and federal courts, jury and nonjury.
As an arbitrator of more than 20 years, Francis has served either as a single arbitrator or on panels of arbitrators, in both U.S.- based and international disputes. He also represents clients in arbitrations, domestic and international. Either as an advocate representing clients or as an arbitrator, he has participated in hundreds of arbitrations.
Francis is a Circuit and County Court mediator.
Francis is AV® Preeminent™ Peer-Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
In recent years, Francis has:
- Prevailed in a two-week international arbitration hearing in which ownership of a resort island in the Bahamas was in question.
- Successfully arbitrated, representing clients, claim for brokerage commissions in connection with the sale of a "super yacht."
- As an arbitrator, presided over a three-week hearing in which damages were sought in connection with the breach of the software development and distribution agreement by failure to deliver software as agreed.
- Served as a panelist in an arbitration in which the claimant sought in excess of $5 million in damages for breach of shareholder agreement, breach of fiduciary duties, and for defamation arising from a business breakup of a company servicing. the gaming industry.
- Served as a panelist on an arbitration arising from the alleged breach of a distributorship agreement for medical equipment sold in Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Ecuador: including breach of contract and warranty claims.
- As an arbitrator, presided over a lengthy hearing involving multiple claims arising from the loss due to improper investments in securities and other equities.
- As an arbitrator, presided over the hearing arising from the breach of an agreement between a health care provider and a group of pathologists to provide health care services for the provider.
- Successfully litigated a claim arising from the breach of transfers pf patents and intellectual property between the inventor of a certain medical device and the buyer of his company, and also the breach of an employment agreement.
- As an arbitrator, presided over a claim for fraud in the inducement breach of contract in connection with the sale of the medical devices business.
- Successfully litigated a complex $25 million foreclosure of a marina with multiple competing junior lienors.
- As an arbitrator, presided as chair of a panel over claims for breaches of international purchase of equipment agreements and fraud in excess of $20 million.
- Represented the seller of a Hong Kong based ship builder in an arbitration in the U.K. for breach of an alleged agreement for the purchase of a heavy construction vessel in the contract sum of $150 million.
- Drafted shareholder and other formative corporate documents.
- As general counsel for a small commercial bank, drafted many asset based lending agreements, intercreditor agreements, financing statements, promissory notes, restructuring agreements, and the like.
- Successfully represented clients in successful garnishments, attachments, and recoveries of inventories and collection of receivable which served as collateral in connection with substantial loans.
News & Events
- Twelve ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2017 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 8, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 6th Annual “Golf Fore A Cause” Tournament for the Monica Burguera Foundation
May 1, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors HistoryMiami Museum's 2017 Law Day Panel
April 20, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors Kozyak's 2017 Annual Minority Mentoring Picnic
January 26, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 2016 Legal Legend Awards and Reception
November 3, 2016
- ROIG Lawyers Ranked #1 Law Firm For Hispanic Attorneys
May 19, 2016
- Roig Lawyers Adds Prominent Corporate Partners from Levine Kellogg to Bolster Miami Office
January 27, 2016
- Francis X. Sexton Featured in Law360's Secret Lives of Lawyers Series
August 1, 2016
- Francis X. Sexton Featured in Law360 article "Q&A With Roig's Francis Sexton"
April 29, 2016
- Roig Lawyer Attorneys featured in The Florida Bar News Sections: On the Move/ News & Notes
February 23, 2016
- Francis X. Sexton, Jr. Featured in Law360 article titled "Roig Lawyers Gains Int'l Arbitrator in Miami"
February 12, 2016
- Monica Burguera Foundation's 6th Annual “Golf Fore A Cause” Tournament
May 26, 2017
- HistoryMiami Museum's Law Day Panel - The 14th Amendent: Transforming American Democracy
May 4, 2017
- 2017 Annual Minority Mentoring Picnic
February 4, 2017
- 2016 Legal Legend Awards and Reception
November 3, 2016
- Children’s Home Society of Florida's Claws for a Cause
October 13, 2016