Jacqueline R. A. Root is a medical malpractice and healthcare attorney in the Tampa office of Roig Lawyers.
Jacqueline focuses her practice on the representation of hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers and facilities, defending against claims for medical malpractice, general negligence, and billing and collections issues at the trial and appellate levels. Jacqueline has significant experience handling birth injury claims, transplant cases, and an array of complex high-acuity cases. She also advises healthcare providers and facilities on how to proactively manage their risks to reduce the frequency and severity of claims.
Jacqueline has particular interests in the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act (PSQIA) and the protection of peer review and quality improvement information, as well as the medical malpractice implications of telemedicine. She is a frequent author, speaker, and presenter on both topics, as well as electronic medical records and charting best practices, and statutory developments affecting medical malpractice litigation.
An active member of the Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety (FSHRMPS), Jacqueline is the chair of the FSHRMPS Communications Committee, and Editor of the RiskNet Online Journal. She also chairs the Florida Defense Lawyers Association CLE Committee.
Jacqueline also has substantial experience in the litigation of complex commercial claims, class action defense, and creditors’ rights and bankruptcy matters. She graduated from Georgetown University Law Center and is consistently named a Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- Won dismissal or summary judgment in multiple lawsuits filed in state and federal court in Harvey v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, asserting various legal theories seeking additional recovery after full payment by the hospital of a medical malpractice voluntary binding arbitration award.
News & Events
- ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Selected to 2018 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
June 19, 2018
- Ed Carbone and Jacqueline Root Tapped to Present "Death by Charting" CE for HRSA Conferences
May 11, 2018
- ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Selected to Present at the 2018 Florida Liability Claims Conference
March 28, 2018
- Roig Attorneys Selected to Speak at the 2018 Crittenden Medical Insurance Conference
March 23, 2018
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors and Presents at the 37th Annual FSHRMPS Meeting & Education Conference
July 7, 2017
- Twelve ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2017 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 8, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Present Property and Medical Malpractice Continuing Education Courses at 2017 Florida Liability Claims Conference
June 1, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Tampa Attorney Appointed Communications Committee Chair and RiskNet Online Journal Editor of the Florida Society of Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety
February 21, 2017
- Eleven ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 22, 2016
- Eight Roig Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2015 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 11, 2015
- The Dunedin Fine Art Center has selected Roig Lawyers Attorney, Jacqueline R. A. Root, as a “Model of Success”
August 13, 2014
- Jacqueline R.A. Root Publishes Article in FSHRMPS's Online Journal, RiskNet
February 24, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Tampa Office Managing Partner and Attorney Publish Article in Hillsborough County Bar Association's Lawyer Magazine
November 17, 2016
- Jacqueline R.A. Root Featured in Law360 article "Attorneys Pay Tribute to Scalia, A Beautiful Legal Mind"
February 23, 2016
- Jacqueline R. A. Root and Edward J. Carbone Publish Healthcare Article on Lexology.com
August 4, 2015
- Jacqueline R. A. Root and Edward J. Carbone Publish Healthcare Article in Hillsborough County Bar Association's Lawyer Magazine
July 13, 2015
- FSHRMPS 2017 Annual Meeting - Education Conference
August 10, 2017
- 2017 Crittenden Medical Insurance Conference
April 2, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 36th Annual FSHRMPS Meeting & Education Conference
August 11, 2016
- Author, "Patient Safety Privilege and the PSQIA Post-Charles," RiskNet Online Journal, February 2017
- Co-author, "Second DCA Rejects Hospital Non-Delegable Duty Claim," Lawyer Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 2, November-December 2016
- Co-author, "The PSQIA/Amendment 7 debate in preparation for Charles," Lexology, July 30, 2015
- Co-author, "The PSQIA/Amendment 7 debate in preparation for Charles," Lawyer Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 6, Summer 2015
Presenter, "Death by Charting," Crittenden Medical Insurance Conference 2018, April 2018
Presenter, "Protecting Peer Review: So You’re Saying There’s a Chance?," HCBA -Health Care Law Section CLE Luncheon, February 2018
Presenter, "Telemedicine: The Future is Now - Understanding Current Regulations and Preparing for Litigation," Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management & Patient Safety, 2017 FSHRMPS Meeting and Education Conference, August 2017
Presenter, "When the Supreme Court Leaves Laws in Limbo – Battling the “to the extent it is procedural” Opinions," 21st Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference (FLCC), June 2017
Speaker, "Not Just a Gladiator: Collaboration Between Outside Counsel and In-House Personnel to Reduce Severity of Malpractice Risks," Crittenden Medical Insurance, April 2017