Ed Carbone is the managing partner in Roig Lawyers’ Tampa office and the partner in charge of the firm’s Healthcare practice group.
Ed primarily represents hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers. He has also represented a wide variety of businesses and organizations including national insurance companies, hospices, educational institutions and local youth sports organizations.
As a litigator, he defends providers against claims for medical malpractice, general negligence, billing and collections issues, and other claims, both at trial and on appeal. He has significant experience handling birth injury claims, including disputes over the applicability of Florida’s Neurological Injury Compensation Association (NICA) no-fault compensation program for birth-related neurological injuries.
As an advisor, he helps healthcare providers manage their risks and seek to reduce the frequency and severity of claims. He offers healthcare providers risk management advice to help them comply with the various laws and regulations that govern them and to help them try to prevent claims from arising.
Ed also has substantial experience with insurance issues, including extra-contractual/bad faith claims, Florida’s public records and public meetings (Sunshine) laws, commercial litigation, general civil litigation, including representation of day care centers and sports organizations, and hospital lien litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Ed was a shareholder in the Tampa office of Carlton Fields. Earlier in his career, Ed was a law clerk for the Honorable Arthur Minuskin of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex Vicinage.
He frequently lectures on topics such as current trends in medical malpractice law, hospital liability for physician malpractice, the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act (PSQIA) and its protection of peer review and quality improvement information, deposition preparation, medical confidentiality, privacy, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Ed has been named a Florida Super Lawyer since 2015, is AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and has been named in Best Lawyers in America.
- Won a defense verdict in Rankin v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, a medical malpractice claim in which the plaintiffs asked the jury to award $50 million for cauda equina syndrome that developed after spinal surgery.
- Won appellate reversal of a class certification order in Elsenheimer v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, a consumer debt collection claim in which the plaintiffs sought payment of more than $100 million in hospital charges collected over a ten-year period.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a medical malpractice claim against Tampa General Hospital when investigation and surveillance of the plaintiff revealed that her deposition testimony was inconsistent with her activities. The plaintiff dropped her case rather than permit a motion to dismiss for fraud on the court to be brought to hearing.
- Obtained abatement of a medical malpractice lawsuit filed against Tampa General Hospital by the family of an infant with a catastrophic brain injury that was subject to Florida’s no-fault compensation plan for birth-related neurological injuries. The claimant eventually received benefits under the no-fault plan and the lawsuit against the hospital was dismissed with prejudice.
- Won summary judgment in Johnson v. St. Mary’s Hospital, Inc. et al., in favor of two hospitals sued in a wrongful death premises liability claim by the estate of a man who died of lung cancer. The estate claimed the hospitals had failed to warn of the danger posed by asbestos on their premises.
- Won dismissal or summary judgment in multiple lawsuits filed in state and federal court in Mosley v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, asserting legal theories ranging from violation of constitutional civil rights to fraud to medical malpractice, all on behalf of a man who claimed that he received improper hospital care for injuries he suffered when he was hit by a truck while riding his bicycle.
- Won summary judgment in Razi v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, in which a physician sought to invade the statutory privilege that protects medical staff decision making to encourage participants to engage in candid discussions of their colleagues’ qualifications.
- Won summary judgment in Conrad v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital, in favor of a hospital named in a wrongful death claim alleging medical malpractice in a heart transplant procedure.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on all counts for a hospital named in a million dollar medical malpractice claim in Cassidy v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital. The claim alleged lack of informed consent and fraud in connection with a corneal transplant procedure.
- Won reversal in the trial court and obtained affirmance of that order on appeal, of a special master’s recommended order that would have forced disclosure of confidential peer review, risk management and quality assurance meetings and records in Times Publishing Co. and The Tribune Co. v. Florida Health Sciences Center, Inc. d/b/a Tampa General Hospital.
News & Events
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the Tampa General Hospital Foundation’s 2017 “Night at the Circus”
January 24, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Ranked in 2017 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
November 1, 2016
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 18th Annual Tampa General Hospital Foundation Golf Tournament
October 24, 2016
- Second District Court of Appeal Issues a Sweeping Opinion in Godwin v. University of South Florida Board of Trustees
August 25, 2016
- Eleven ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 22, 2016
- Four ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Appointed To Florida Bar Committees
April 22, 2016
- Roig Lawyers Adds Partner to the Firm’s Growing Tampa Office
February 23, 2016
- Roig Lawyers Partners Featured in the 2015 Super Lawyers Business Edition
November 3, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Ranked in 2016 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
November 2, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Sponsors the 17th Annual Tampa General Hospital Foundation Golf Tournament
October 29, 2015
- Ed Carbone Appointed to the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM) Journal Editorial Review Board
September 29, 2015
- Ed Carbone to Speak at The Florida Bar’s 7th Annual FUNdamentals: Lawyers at the Bedside: The Intersection of Legal and Medical Ethics CLE Program
September 16, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Managing Partner of Tampa Office Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America© List
August 17, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Debuts on Tampa Bay Business Journal’s List of Florida’s Largest Law Firms
August 12, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Sponsors 35th Annual Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety Annual Meeting & Education Conference
August 6, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Sponsors Florida Defense Lawyers Association 2015 Annual Meeting
July 31, 2015
- Florida Legislative Update
June 29, 2015
- Eight Roig Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2015 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 11, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Managing Partner of the Tampa Office and Head of the Healthcare Practice to Speak at the 19th Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference
June 1, 2015
- Seven Roig Lawyers Attorneys Appointed to Florida Bar Committees
April 9, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Sponsors The Florida Society for Health Care Risk Management and Patient Safety (FSHRMPS) Webinar Presented by Edward J. Carbone, Head of the Healthcare Practice
March 13, 2015
- Roig Lawyers Tampa Partner Speaker at Hillsborough County Bar Association Health Care Section Luncheon
February 4, 2015
- Edward J. Carbone of Roig Lawyers to Present the Medical Malpractice Update Course to Insurance Adjusters at the Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation for the State of Florida
October 7, 2014
- Edward J. Carbone of Roig Lawyers Elected to the Florida Defense Lawyers Association Board of Directors
September 4, 2014
- Edward J. Carbone, Partner at Roig Lawyers, Named to The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
August 18, 2014
- Ed Carbone Interviewed on Recent Florida Supreme Court Ruling
June 17, 2014
- Florida Supreme Court Strikes Down Non-Economic Damage Cap on Wrongful Death Medical Malpractice Claims
March 20, 2014
- Florida Medical Malpractice Defense Attorney Edward Carbone Joins Roig, Tutan, Rosenberg, Martin & Stoller, P.A.
January 6, 2014
- ROIG Lawyers Tampa Office Managing Partner and Attorney Publish Article in Hillsborough County Bar Association's Lawyer Magazine
November 17, 2016
- Jacqueline R. A. Root and Edward J. Carbone Publish Healthcare Article on Lexology.com
August 4, 2015
- Jacqueline R. A. Root and Edward J. Carbone Publish Healthcare Article in Hillsborough County Bar Association's Lawyer Magazine
July 13, 2015
- Ed Carbone Quoted in Legal Newsline Legal Journal
June 9, 2014
- "Second DCA Rejects Hospital Non-Delegable Duty Claim," Lawyer Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 2, November-December 2016
- "The PSQIA/Amendment 7 debate in preparation for Charles," Lexology, July 30, 2015
- "The PSQIA/Amendment 7 debate in preparation for Charles," Lawyer Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 6, Summer 2015
- "An Antidote To Amendment 7? How Patient Safety Organizations May Be Able To Help Florida Health Care Providers Protect Risk Management And Peer Review Materials,” Florida Liability Claims Conference, June 5, 2014
- "Conversations with Non-Party Physicians," Speaker, Florida Defense Lawyers’ Association, Annual Meeting, August 2013
- Author, “Florida Legislature Passes Medical Liability Tort Reforms in Response to Hasan v. Garvar State Supreme Court Decision,” Medical Liability Monitor, Vol. 38, No. 7, July 2013
- “Florida Legislature Passes Medical Liability Tort Reforms in Response to Hasan v. Garvar State Supreme Court Decision,” Medical Liability Monitor, vol. 38, no. 7, July 2013
- “Claiming NICA Exclusivity: the Florida Supreme Court Clarifies the Law Regarding Notice by Multiple Providers,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, vol. 29, no. 2, Spring 2010
- “Hospitals and the Non-Delegable Duty of Care,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, vol. 28 no. 1, Winter 2009
- “Presuit Nuts ‘n’ Bolts,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, vol. 27 no. 4, Fall 2007
- “Responding to Interrogatories,” The Defense Speaks, Ch. 24, Florida Defense Lawyers Association, August 2006
- Presenter, "Telemedicine: The Future is Now - Understanding Current Regulations and Preparing for Litigation," Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management & Patient Safety, 2017 FSHRMPS Meeting and Education Conference, August 2017
- Presenter, "When the Supreme Court Leaves Laws in Limbo – Battling the “to the extent it is procedural” Opinions," 21st Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference (FLCC), June 2017
- Speaker, "Not Just a Gladiator: Collaboration Between Outside Counsel and In-House Personnel to Reduce Severity of Malpractice Risks," Crittenden Medical Insurance, April 2017
- Presenter, "Intro into Medical Malpractice Defense," ROIG Lawyers Monthly Lunch &
- Speaker, The Florida Bar’s 7th Annual FUNdamentals: Lawyers at the Bedside: The Intersection of Legal and Medical Ethics CLE Program, September 2015
- Presenter, "Medical Privacy: HIPAA for Non-Health Care Lawyers," ROIG Lawyers Monthly Lunch & Learn, June 2015
- Speaker, “Medical Malpractice Update – Patient Safety Organizations, Hospital Liability, and Causation,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, June 2015
- Speaker, "Ten Things Health Care Providers Should Do to Reduce Medical Malpractice Exposure," The Florida Society for Health Care Risk Management and Patient Safety (FSHRMPS) Webinar, March 2015
- Speaker, "Medical Malpractice: The Year in Review," Hillsborough County Bar Association Health Care Section Luncheon, February 2015
- Speaker, "Medical Malpractice Update to the State of Florida," Department of Financial Services, October 2014
- Speaker, “An Antidote To Amendment 7? How Patient Safety Organizations May Be Able To Help Florida Health Care Providers Protect Risk Management And Peer Review Materials,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, June 2014
- Speaker, “Conversations with Non-Party Physicians,” Florida Defense Lawyers’ Association Annual Meeting, August 2013
- Speaker, “Medical Malpractice for Paralegals,” Paralegal Association of Florida, Hillsborough County, August 2013
- Speaker, “Medical Malpractice 2013 Update,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, June 2013
- Speaker, “Liability of Hospitals for Negligence of Practitioners,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2010
- Speaker, “Limit Your Liability: What You Can Do as a Respiratory Therapist,” Respiratory Care Conference, 2009
- Speaker, “Annual Case Law Review,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2009
- Speaker, “
PresuitNuts ‘n’ Bolts,” Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2007
- Faculty, Florida Medical Malpractice/Tort Reform seminar series, December 2003
- Faculty, “Risk Prevention,” University of South Florida College of Medicine CME seminar, Fall 2003