Five South Floridians Enter Pleas in Insurance Fraud Case
Five defendants arrested on insurance fraud charges as part of the Division of Insurance Fraud’s Operation Cold Call have been sentenced after entering guilty pleas, according to The PIP Source, a newsletter of the Florida Division of Insurance Fraud.
The crimes – which were prosecuted by the 15th Judicial Circuit (Palm Beach County) and the 19th Judicial Circuit (Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee counties) – took place in 2014 and 2015. A yearlong undercover investigation turned up illegal activity at two healthcare clinics: Accident Recovery Centers and Active Recovery Centers. Patients were illegally recruited and bills were sent for services that were never rendered.
Here are the five pleas and their punishment:
- Runner Douglas Anthony Santiago was sentenced to three years probation for patient brokering.
- Runner Alejandro Jose Marin was sentenced to two years probation for patient solicitation and patient brokering.
- Attorney Brian Greenspoon was sentenced to 18 months probation for patient solicitation.
- Chiropractor Roger Toby Hughes Bell was convicted of patient brokering and surrendered his license.
- Attorney Cory Meltzer was convicted of patient solicitation and agreed to disbarment.
Two chiropractors are scheduled for trial later this year, while the final defendant is negotiating a plea.