Ricardo M. Luces is a partner in the Miami office of Roig Lawyers.
As a civil litigator with over 20 years of experience, Ricardo has tried over 40 jury trials to verdict in circuit court. Ricardo focuses his practice primarily on defending insureds in disputes involving bodily injury claims. He utilizes effective defense strategies to minimize loss to clients in cases alleging injuries related to motor vehicle accidents. Ricardo has extensive experience representing national insurance carriers in Uninsured Motorist cases from the notice of intention to make a claim through the litigation process.
Ricardo also handles all types of Property Insurance Defense matters which include Assignment of Benefits litigation cases and cases involving insured property losses. He represents insurers in cases involving fraud, coverage disputes, and improper billing and licensing. Ricardo manages matters that involve claims that have been denied pursuant to policy exclusions, claims denied pursuant to failure to comply with policy conditions, and claims wherein payment was issued and the amount of recovery due remains in dispute.
In addition, Ricardo also handles Special Investigations cases, Personal Injury Protection and extra-contractual defense litigation on behalf of a national insurance carrier.
Ricardo served as Managing Attorney for the in-house counsel office of a national insurance company. He also created, developed, and oversaw the PIP department for the in-house counsel office of a national insurance company.
Ricardo dedicated the first 3 years of his legal career to public service as an Assistant State Attorney with the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office where he handled serious felony cases. As an Assistant State Attorney, he tried over 25 jury trials and 75 bench trials. The trial and courtroom experience Ricardo gained as an Assistant State Attorney served as the foundation for the success he has enjoyed in the civil litigation arena.
- Obtained a settlement on behalf of a national insurance carrier in a Bodily Injury case wherein the Plaintiff suffered injuries to his neck that resulted in a cervical discogram and cervical discectomy. After effectively deposing the Plaintiff and investigating the Plaintiff through discovery, the Plaintiff’s demand of $100,000.00 was rejected and the case settled at mediation for $2,000 over the Defendant’s Proposal for Settlement amount of $10,000.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a bodily injury case in Miami Dade County circuit court wherein the Plaintiff had undergone a double lumbar fusion following a car accident with extensive property damage.
- Effectively cross examined Plaintiff’s accident reconstruction expert in a serious bodily injury case in Miami Dade County involving 2 Plaintiffs and obtained a defense verdict in Circuit Court.
- Won a defense verdict in an Uninsured Motorist case in Broward County Circuit Court where the Plaintiff had undergone cervical disc surgery following his auto accident. The past medical bills exceeded the amount of the Plaintiff’s policy limits.
- Won a defense verdict in a bodily injury case in Broward County involving a motorcycle accident. Plaintiff claimed he had suffered a permanent injury to his ankle as a result of the subject accident.
- Obtained a defense verdict in Sarasota Circuit Court in a bodily injury case wherein the Plaintiff was a nurse and claimed permanent injuries to her neck,
shoulderand low back. Ricardo effectively used Plaintiff’s own medical records to impeach Plaintiff’s experts and obtain a defense verdict.
- Obtained a settlement on behalf of a national insurance carrier in an uninsured motorist claim wherein Plaintiff suffered injuries to his low back that resulted in a double lumbar fusion surgery. After effectively deposing Plaintiff’s surgeon, Plaintiff’s excess demand of $750,000 was reduced significantly to $100,000 thereby saving the carrier substantial amounts of money and exposure to a bad faith lawsuit.
- Won a defense verdict in Monroe County Circuit court in a bodily injury case wherein Plaintiff was claiming permanent injuries to his lumbar spine with objective findings on MRI. Ricardo impeached the Plaintiff and his experts with the use of Plaintiff’s own medical records and surveillance video of Plaintiff.
- In Martinez
v.UAIC, Ricardo argued against a motion for summary judgment and the motion was denied by the court. Eventually, the case made its way to the Florida Supreme Court and the arguments made by Ricardo at the county court level were upheld by the Court thereby substantially changing PIP litigation.
News & Events
- ROIG Lawyers Kicks Off Continuing Education Webinar Series
September 27, 2017
- Helping You Navigate the Choppy Waters of Hurricane Claims
September 26, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Present Property and Medical Malpractice Continuing Education Courses at 2017 Florida Liability Claims Conference
June 1, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 18th Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference
January 23, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Promotes Five Attorneys to Partners in their Deerfield Beach, Miami and Tampa Offices
August 17, 2016
- Ricardo Luces Presents on Social Media: Ethics, Investigating and Defending Claims
February 17, 2016
- Roig Lawyers Adds Former Senior Trial Attorney for National Insurance Carrier to its Expanding Litigation Practice Group
March 3, 2015
- ROIG Lawyers Newest Partners Named in Law360 List "Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up The Firm Ranks In Q3"
October 28, 2016
- ROIG Lawyers Partners Featured in The Miami Herald Movers Column
August 30, 2016
Presenter, "Using Social Media to Investigate and Defend Claims" ROIG Lawyers Continuing Education Webinar Series, October 2017
Presenter, "Water Mitigation Claims" 20th Annual Florida Liability Claims Conference (FLCC), June 2017
Speaker, "Social Media: Ethics, Investigating and Defending Claims," Bunch CareSolutions, LLC, January 2015
Speaker, 2015 Domestic Violence Program, October 2015
Speaker, “Impeaching Plaintiff Experts using CPT code and ICD9 coding”
Speaker, “Uncovering Medical
Speaker, “The Positive Effects of Diversity & Inclusion”
Speaker, “The Use of Internet/Social Media Investigations in BI/UM Cases”
Speaker, “Proximate Cause and Comparative Negligence”
Speaker, “Effective Teamwork: How to go from “ME” to “WE””
Speaker, “How to Conduct an Effective Impeachment of Plaintiff’s Expert Using Plaintiff’s own Medical Records”
Speaker, “Damages in a BI/UM Case”