Nelson Bellido is a named partner and managing partner of the Miami office of Roig Lawyers. Mr. Bellido is an accomplished first-chair trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience. His main areas of practice are in complex commercial litigation, insurance defense, finance law, premises liability and products liability. Mr. Bellido chairs both the Business Litigation and the Special Investigations/Insurance practice groups of the firm.
Mr. Bellido represents clients on a local, state, national and international scale in a range of individual and corporate disputes, including defending and prosecuting business disputes between individuals and companies related to fraud, unfair or deceptive trade practices and trade secret matters. Additionally, Mr. Bellido has significant experience in defending industries involving insurance, retail, real estate, banking, energy, technology, travel & leisure and other service providers in litigation matters. Of note, he handles high-stakes disputes involving the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and class actions including those involving the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Mr. Bellido is an experienced trial attorney with substantial jury trial experience in both federal and state courts throughout Florida, as well as arbitration/alternate dispute resolution. He achieved a full defense verdict in his most recent jury trial in October 2021 in 17th Judicial Circuit of Broward County, Florida during the pandemic. He also works with clients on avoiding disputes by analyzing existing or potential risks in business policies and contracts.
Memberships & Leadership
- Miami-Dade Commission on Ethics & Public Trust (COE)- Past Chair/Present Commissioner
- National Association of Minority & Women Law Firms (NAMWOLF) – Vice Chair of Board of Directors
- Hispanic National Bar Association – Member
- Cuban American Bar Association – Past Board Member
- Dade County Bar Association – Past Director & Member
- Duke University Hispanic Latino Alumni Association (DUHLA) – Past Chair of Board of Directors
- Duke University Alumni Association of South Florida – Past Chair & Board of Directors Member
- Duke University Alumni Engage – Coordinator of Community Service – Overtown Youth Center
Notable Awards & Recognitions
- Selected by a distinct group of peers for America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators (2020-present)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© for his outstanding practice in the area of Insurance Litigation (2014 to present)
- Recognized by Super Lawyers© for excellence in Commercial Litigation (2010-present)
- Recognized by Florida Trend’s Legal Elite© in Commercial Litigation (2009-present)
- Selected by Florida Trend’s Legal Elite© as one of Florida’s Notable Managing Partners (2023)
- Recognized by The Miami-Dade County School Board & Superintendent with a Proclamation for community service, civic engagement and leadership in the legal profession and South Florida. The recipients of the Proclamation were Mr. Bellido and Baseball Hall of Famer Derek Jeter (Sept 2019)
Noteworthy Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Bellido has lectured on numerous occasions on trial and litigation techniques. Most recently, Mr. Bellido was a featured speaker at NAMWOLF’s Driving Diversity Conference CLE on Motions in Limine where he served on a panel with Broward Circuit Court Judge Frank Ledee and corporate counsels from Shell Corporation and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
- Mr. Bellido has also spoken on a panel entitled, “Successfully Preparing for Trial” at the American Inns of Court (Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter) Bench & Bar Conference. Nelson presented the defense side of appropriately preparing at every stage of trial. The panel was composed of two Eleventh Circuit for Miami-Dade County Judges Reemberto Diaz and Abigail Cynamon and two well-known plaintiff attorneys. Of note, he also served as a panelist on a CLE panel entitled, “Securing the Scene – A Trial Lawyer’s Role in Crisis Management” at a recent NAMWOLF conference.
Visiting Lecturer at Duke University Law School
- Since 2018, Nelson has annually served as a visiting lecturer for the Duke University Law School having lectured on trial and litigation techniques from a private law firm perspective and how to best advise in-house corporate counsel during a crisis.